Try out this simple recipe for whole wheat garlic shrimp pasta!
YIELD: Serves 6
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
- 12 ounces whole-wheat linguine or similar thin pasta noodles
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh or frozen raw shrimp, peeled, tails removed, and patted dry (if frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight before using)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, divided (use less if sensitive to spice)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 12 ounces frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables of your choice, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- Zest and juice of 1 large or 2 small lemons
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water, drain remaining water, then toss with a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shallot and cool until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 additional minute. Add the shrimp, then sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Sauté, stirring to coat with garlic, just until cooked through (both sides will be pink and opaque), about 3 minutes.
Remove to a plate and set aside.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high. Add the broccoli and other vegetables, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cook until the vegetables are hot and lightly sautéed, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the white wine and return the shrimp to the skillet, then cook for 2 minutes, allowing the wine to reduce. Stir in the lemon zest and juice and remove from heat.
Add the pasta to the skillet and toss. If the pasta is too dry, add a bit of the reserved pasta water. Serve warm, topped with parsley and Parmesan.